Enhancing the Experience of Injured Employees
Employees experience many challenges when faced with a work-related injury. Our goal at Travelers is to assist our customers’ injured employees by helping them recover the life they had before a work-related injury. While most employees bounce back quickly and return to their pre-injury condition, others with similar injuries struggle with barriers that may delay recovery. Travelers takes a biopsychosocial approach to employee recovery, identifying and addressing the many factors that may impact recovery after an injury or illness. Timely and effective interventions help injured employees take control of their recovery.
Travelers’ CustomCareSM is an approach to claim management that combines intelligent analytics, digital capabilities and a personal touch to achieve optimal outcomes on workers compensation claims. It is to help resolve claims while delivering a personalized, employee-centered experience. CustomCare supports the recovery journey by encouraging appropriate medical treatment and return to work.
Through the use of CustomCare, we aim to empower injured employees to manage their recoveries, which may lead to lower disability duration, lower claim costs and increased satisfaction with the process. An easy and transparent approach, which allows for both virtual and in-person interactions based on the employees’ preferences, CustomCare delivers an unparalleled claims experience for workers and employers. CustomCare capabilities include:
- ConciergeCLAIM® Nurse, which facilitates personal connections between the injured employee and a Travelers nurse located in selected medical clinics.
- Virtual Visit, a tool that enables injured employees, employers and medical providers to have real-time video conversations with a Claim professional or a nurse.
- Wysa for Return to Work, a conversational agent app designed for injured employees that helps users build and develop resilience skills and facilitates a holistic recovery.
- TravCare® Nurse Line, a direct, toll-free phone line, through which injured employees and employers can receive immediate medical guidance from a nurse who can recommend the appropriate level of care using evidence-based medical guidelines, helping to reduce unnecessary emergency room visits. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is staffed by both English- and Spanish-speaking nurses.
Analytics and Digital Capabilities
- MyTravelers® for Injured Employees, a secure, web-based portal that helps injured employees navigate the workers compensation claim process and empowers them to take an active role in their recovery.
- ePay, an electronic payment capability created in partnership with Zelle and Paypal that reduces the injured employee’s reliance on mailed paper checks and can lead to quicker receipt of lost-time payments.
- Nurse Assignment Model, a predictive claim model that proactively identifies claims that would benefit from nurse case management. It assigns a nurse to the claim at the right time to support the injured employee's recovery.
- Early Severity Predictor (ESP), a predictive model that can help identify an injured employee’s likelihood of developing chronic pain, allowing for early intervention and engagement of resources.
These programs, along with our focus on engaging and supporting injured employees, help customers maintain a safe workplace and manage workers compensation-related risks and challenges. One of these challenges is addressed by our Chief Medical Director, Dr. Marcos Iglesias, in a white paper aimed at assisting with suicide prevention in the construction industry.