Travelers values the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognizes that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences. We benefit from our differences in culture, ethnicity, national origin, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information and sexual orientation. In that regard, as regularly reinforced by our Chairman and CEO and other senior leaders, diversity and inclusion is a business imperative for us.
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we aim to:
- Foster an inclusive environment where all employees can reach their full potential.
- Provide learning and development opportunities to advance diverse leaders.
- Employ a diverse workforce to maintain our talent advantage.
- Explore diverse markets today to tap into tomorrow’s opportunities.
Our Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer leads our diversity and inclusion efforts. We also have a Diversity Council that is chaired by our Chairman and CEO and composed of the most senior members of the company’s leadership team. The council directs diversity initiatives such as:
- Raising awareness about the value of a diverse workforce.
- Partnering with business units to drive diversity strategies, develop business unit-specific tactics, report outcomes and celebrate successes.
- Promoting key internal and external diversity programs and determining accountability for recruiting, training, developing and retaining diverse talent.
- Raising awareness about the importance of community outreach and the inclusion of diverse suppliers in our procurement process.
We have three additional working councils that focus more extensively on implementing diversity and inclusion priorities: the Business Heads Working Council, the Diversity Networks Senior Advisor Working Council and the Field Leadership Working Council. These working councils support our efforts to enhance our leaders’ cultural competence.
- The Business Heads Working Council is focused on identifying emerging trends impacting the diversity and inclusion agenda and partners with our Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer and Chief Human Resources Officer to identify, agree upon and implement initiatives designed to encourage inclusive leadership.
- The Diversity Networks Senior Advisor Working Council provides strategic direction and coaching to the leaders of our employee-led Diversity Networks.
- The Field Leadership Working Council aims to ensure our diversity and inclusion strategy is successfully executed in our field office locations, where approximately 70% of our employees are based.
In 2020, we created a first-of-its-kind Workforce Solutions team that partners with Human Resources and business partners to help reinforce fairness and equity and to ensure that our employees have the opportunity to be heard and to feel heard when it comes to decisions impacting their employment. This standalone department augments our existing channels for addressing employees’ concerns and serves as our organization’s “equity ambassador” for Travelers employees. The Workforce Solutions team provides another avenue for our employees to share candid, real-time feedback about their experiences and to receive practical guidance – all with an eye toward improving the employee experience.
Since the Workforce Solutions team’s inception, members of the team have spoken with more than 3,000 employees on a variety of topics, and nearly 80% of employees who used the team's services reported a positive experience. The team has also undertaken dozens of initiatives, many of which are aimed specifically at assessing the company’s human resources practices and ensuring that they are equitable. For example, the team has gathered insights from more than 1,500 employees during nearly 200 confidential “sensing sessions,” the results of which helped several groups across the enterprise make improvements to better foster a culture of equity and fairness. The Workforce Solutions team has also partnered with senior leaders across Travelers, along with Human Resources professionals, to create opportunities for “Courageous Conversations,” where employees can have open and honest discussions about various topics related to diversity and inclusion.
In addition to the numerous programs and initiatives we describe in further detail in this section, we have policies that encourage an inclusive culture and protect all employees from workplace harassment and discrimination. We use the results of our periodic “pulse” surveys and focus groups, to inform our diversity and inclusion strategy and evaluate our progress. We also use metrics and analytics to measure, evaluate and act upon programs that impact the success of our people, our most important asset.
We collect data – including data aligned with EEO-1 gender and race categories – to evaluate the progress of our diversity and inclusion initiatives. This data includes employee census data regarding women and people of color, promotions, voluntary terminations and employee turnover. Our data demonstrates that we have made significant progress over the past decade. In each of the last 10 years, we have increased the percentage of people of color (as defined by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s EEO-1 race and ethnicity categories for the United States) in our workforce. As of December 31, 2022, women and people of color represent approximately 54% and 27% of our U.S. workforce, respectively. We also continue to make year-over-year progress in promoting women and people of color. In each of the last 10 years, we have increased the percentage of women and people of color in U.S. management-level positions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our Board of Directors encourages diversity and inclusion within Travelers – including within the Board itself – and oversees our diversity and inclusion efforts. Pursuant to its charter, the Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board meets regularly with senior management, including our Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, to review and discuss our strategies to encourage diversity and inclusion within our company. In addition, the Board receives regular updates from senior management regarding the data we collect and oversees our progress. For information about the diversity of our Board of Directors, see the Governance Practices section of this site.